We are teachers, educational professionals, Jewish leaders, college, high school students and child development specialists. Every member of our staff is committed to providing a safe and secure environment where children thrive. Together we have more than 20 years of camping experience and knowledge of children. Our Administrative Staff posses a wealth of knowledge and experience. They mentor and guide our counselors, and actively communicate with camp families.
- Every counselor is carefully interviewed, references are checked, and then selected for their personal warmth, sensitivity and ability to connect to each child.
- All staff over 18 receive a Background Check
- Staff is intensively trained before the start of camp.
- Administrative Staff attend training courses throughout the year, including the ACA tri-state camp conference in Atlantic City in March.
- We work together to ensure that each child’s individual needs, and the group’s needs are met.
- We create an environment where campers build confidence, try new things, express themselves, have FUN and feel proud to be Jewish!
Camp Staff 2019:
Camp Director: Morah Chayale Shagalow
Morah Chayale has been active in the camp industry for 15 years. She spent summers in Texas, Missouri, Brooklyn and New Jersey. In her career, she has been a teacher, adviser, camp counselor, camp program coordinator and Camp Director. This is Morah Chayale's ninth summer directing Camp Gan Israel Highland Park. Morah Chayale generates exemplary warmth, joy and exuberance. Morah Chayale is responsible, multi-talented, dynamic, organized and sensitive to the individual needs of each camper. Her outstanding successes testifies in every task that she undertakes. She cannot wait for the summer to begin to see all our returning and new campers!
Camp Rabbi: Rabbi Shaya Shagalow
Rabbi Shaya, the Camp Rabbi generates exemplary warmth, joy and exuberance. His perceptive and astute understanding of children and teens, his selfless dedication to others, and distinguished leadership skills, will transform your child this summer. Rabbi Shaya's daily shiur program to our campers is rich with Jewish knowledge and a love for yiddishkeit. Rabbi Shaya is multi-talented, dynamic, and sensitive to the individual needs of each camper. His outstanding successes testifies in every task that he undertakes and we are positive that your child will learn and grow a lot this summer!
Morah Elana is extremely responsible, caring, warm, sensitive to the individual needs of every counselor and loved by both our campers and staff! Morah Elana is a dedicated teacher at RPRY and she brings years of experience in working with children and young adults. Morah Elana is looking forward to greeting all our campers and staff with a smile and using her expertise to help make this a fantastic summer! She is thrilled to be able to combine her talents by taking on a role in administration while still interacting with counselors and campers every day.